Tuesday, August 23, 2011

That Dolly Eye Dreamy Stare


My first doll was a Lil Miss Magic Hair Doll and I absolutely loved her. I loved her chubby little legs. I loved her fabulous hair. I loved her outfit. But most of all, I loved her eyes.

Those eyes were etched into my brain. Years would pass and I still remembered the dreamy stare that I cherished as a child.

A few years ago the same haunting expression found it's way back to me when I developed an acute addiction to Asian dramas. So many actresses held the same doe eyed expression that I loved in doll form. These women didn't seem real. It was like watching a presentation on a lobotomized Barbie, and I loved it.


Later I learned the magic behind that expression: Circle Lenses. Cosmetic lenses that are worn to increase the appearance of the iris.

I spent two years watching strangers post photographs of themselves on different message boards dedicated to these lenses. There were so many different styles and colors, and I wanted to try them but I refrained. There also seemed to be a certain level of secrecy involved with just where they were available for purchase. Being the giant lurk that I am, I never went out of my way to ask just where I could acquire said lenses. It was not until last year that various online vendors began stocking circle lenses for individual sale. Prior to this, you would have to place an order in a batch and wait a few weeks for your purchases to arrive. Last fall I purchased my first pair of circle lenses.

I hated them. I could not have looked more ridiculous. So I ordered another pair...

No comments:

Post a Comment