Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Swamp Queen Hair

Attaining green hair has always been a goal of mine, but for reasons I will not write here, I cannot have the hair of my dreams. Fortunately, I stumbled upon an assortment of make your own wig tutorials and came up with the next best thing. A WIG THAT RESEMBLES THE COLOR OF GREEN ALGAE! The kind you often see on the surface of a swamp land, or nasty pools that need to be hit with some chlorine.

My perfect shade!

My perfect shade in yarn!

I didn't have a pool of my own to reference when dyeing hair, but I did look to the image above. Most of the dyes I looked at were too bright for my liking, or they had too much blue making it more of a teal green, which I did not want. 



While I've had wonderful results with the Adore dye that I use on my own hair, in Violet Gem, their Forest green was still too light when I went searching for pictures on how it actually looks on hair, not just going by the hair swatch provided at the beauty store. So I settled for what I already had: Adore Blue Indigo and Adore Sunny Yellow, which I'd previously mixed for a nice soft shade of green to go with my blonde hair that I had last year.

Here's what came out of that combination:
Blue Indigo over a pack of yellow hair, and the Blue Indigo and Sunny Yellow over a pack of honey blonde hair. The yellow hair is the splotchier hair on the left. I didn't mind that it came out that way, because it will look nice when it's curled.

I ended up having to sew each weft to three different wig caps, because it was my first time trying to make a wig and the third time was a charm. The first two were on wig caps that were too small for me once all of the hair was sewn on :( But I finally got it right and this is how it turned out:

Not completely done, but you get the picture. Swamp Queen, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment